Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Aunt Momma

I just posted this link on my Facebook page, but wanted to share it here too. I wish I wrote the article myself. I'm not near as articulate, but she expresses everything I feel:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melanie-notkin/the-invisible-infertility_b_926219.html?ref=fb&src=sp

I have no doubt whatsoever this is a big cause of my depression. Yes, I want to get married and have the man of my dreams think I am the woman of his dreams. But more than anything I have always dreamed of being a mother. It started in my early teens when I was babysitting age, and the desire has increased each year as I turn another year older.

I don't want to minimize how important it is that I get to be an aunt to 23 amazing nieces/nephews and 2 great niece/nephew. It's a blessing that I thank the Lord for every single day. I LOVE "my" kids and I think each and every one of them are pretty dang terrific. I also don't think I could be prouder of each and every one of them if they were my own. These kids (some not so little - my oldest nephew James is 27 years old) have significantly helped this void that I feel and for that I will always be grateful.

Being an Aunt Momma is a blessing, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. That really was a great article. Makes me sad that people responded to her other article negatively and diminish the pain that she (and you) feel. Your nieces and nephews are QUITE lucky to have you, and their lives have certainly been bettered by your presence. NOT that that makes the pain any less, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I do love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,
    I have been following her articles lately and I am so happy that she has voiced so much of what I feel. I too am in some kind of a reality check/funk. The reality that I may not be able to have my own biological children someday because I am aging out of that phase of life is shaking my eternal optimism. Bleh! Thanks for sending me this post... I may be overly emotional but it brought tears to my eyes. Thanks :) I also blogged about it... but I was a little more raw than I usually like to be... but it is my blog, right? http://theburblingsofagirl.blogspot.com/2011/08/this-post-is-pg13-for-dramatic-content.html

    ReplyDelete