Friday, August 5, 2011

Issues, Schmissues

I received a lovely note yesterday from my friend Kim. She gave me permission to share what she wrote, which I thought so eloquent:

Depression is terribly common yet usually held secret and with a great deal of shame unnecessarily. I have struggled with similar feelings at times in my life, and it's not easy reaching out for the needed support. Thoughts of worthlessness can be present even when on the outside it seems like the individual has everything life has to offer.


Yes, ultimately we have to choose to or learn how to accept and love ourselves, flaws and all. The bonus is that this ability to fully accept and then trust oneself, through whatever means needed - medication, behavioral therapy, life coaching, faith and prayer - frees one to more readily accept and love, and trust others with their flaws too! The more I trust myself to embrace life fully and know I can "handle" the inevitable challenges that will come, the more I lean on all the support structures available to me, the more open I am to life, the less validation I need from others, the more I see I have to live for, the greater the challenges I accept and the happier I am... the worst thing I can do is isolate, try to wait it out silently until I feel better.

I know I could not have put it better myself.

Why am I putting all of this out there? If you know me at all, you know I've done a debt blog and a weight blog (this one lasted about two minutes). I am single, have no dependents and have never had anyone to answer to. When I "share" these inner struggles of mine, I make myself accountable to all of you out there. No more secrets.

It's incredibly selfish of me to do this. Putting MY thoughts and feelings and struggles and temporary helps and what hopefully are permanent helps on here, but I hope in my heart that maybe someone else can relate and possibly learn from my issues.

And yes, I have issues, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment