Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Forgiveness.

A personal offense is like a scratch on a phonograph record. I couldn't move my thoughts beyond my pain. It kept repeating, as if I were stuck within its grooves. There was only one way to play beyond it. I had to forgive them, so my heart could take its form again.
--Laurel Lee

I had an interesting and wonderful experience yesterday that I want to share.  I was in the temple, preparing to attend the sealing of a friend of mine to her sweetheart of about 11 weeks (it's a wonderful story).  She and I have been close friends for years.

We have another "friend" in common that had done something to someone that I love years ago.  I was angry at this person for years and years and felt like I didn't need to ever care about or be seen with or protect or help or be nice to them ever again.  I felt good about this unconscious decision.  Funnily enough, the loved one that was hurt by this person has probably never given it another thought and has never brought up the offender or situation to me in all these years since.

Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.
--William Arthur Ward

Not surprising, this person was in the temple to attend this same sealing (we were both close to the bride) and because we had time (we were both quite early) we started talking.  All of my feelings of anger and hurt and pride and indignation never surfaced.  Not once.  In that moment, I realized I had missed this person and the reason why we were friends to begin with.

Forgiveness is the economy of the heart... forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits.
--Hannah More

In the middle of this person's conversation to me, I stopped them and told them I had a question for them.  They smiled at me in anticipation and the look on their face when I asked for forgiveness was of surprise and bewilderment.  I didn't tell them why I was angry at them (and they didn't ask), just letting them know that it had to do with a past situation, and that I had been harboring anger and sadness and (again) indignation towards them.  In that moment, it was all completely gone and I was crying to this person to forgive me and my pride.

May God help us to be a little kinder, showing forth greater forbearance, to be more forgiving, more willing to walk the second mile, to reach down and lift up those who may have sinned but have brought forth the fruits of repentance, to lay aside old grudges and nurture them no more.
--Gordon B. Hinckley

This person just laughed and took me in a huge hug and said I was forgiven and that they hoped I could forgive them for whatever it was I was angry about.  OF COURSE.

I'm not telling you this to say, "Well done Tara!" or "You're amazing!"  This whole scenario came out of NOWHERE.  Seriously.  I haven't been dwelling on this person or the situation at all and felt that no forgiveness was needed on my end because frankly, I was over it and over this person.

In the instant I asked for forgiveness and was granted it by this person, a weight was lifted that I had no idea I'd been carrying.  Seriously.  It was an amazing moment and I liked myself just a little bit more yesterday.

Methinks progress is being made here folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment