I need to get better at this. Sorry.
Last week, February 13-18, I had the joy and rapture of going to Maui with a lot of people from my company. We all got to bring a guest, so I brought my oldest sister Leslie. We had a ball. We stayed at a gorgeous hotel, soaked up a ton of sun, ate a lot, shopped a lot and just really enjoyed each other's company and the company of my friends at my company.
The following Monday was President's Day so it was a nice day to relax and un-vacation from the vacation.
But I was excited for Tuesday. If you know me at all, if you've read anything I've written (including posts on Facebook) you know I love my company, my boss and the job I did. I was scheduled for a performance review at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday morning. I've always loved these as they always built me up personally and professionally. I always came away from them inspired.
Tuesday morning came and 10:00 was there and I walked into my boss' office and sat down. We chit chatted for just a moment and then the words that are burned into my memory forever were said, "I am letting you go." I am crying right now as I write these words. They have continually brought tears to my eyes because they continually land in my mind. I AM LETTING YOU GO. Words I have NEVER heard from any employer, much less words I never thought possible from this employer. I'm still stunned to be quite honest.
I was the assistant to the CEO and supported him and his family administratively. He has decided to change the role of his assistant and make it more business-related instead of administrative-related. I don't have an MBA and don't have the business accumen that he needs and so it was the right decision. I honestly believe it and support him in his decision.
But oh boy, I am not happy about it. I'm not angry at all, just not happy and sorely disappointed. I'm awfully discouraged that I won't get to continue to be a part of this incredible company. It's a company that had only 6 people there when I started and as I left the office on Tuesdsay, there were 210-ish employees. I was so excited to be a part of this company's future, as the past had been so exciting / hard / great / inspiring thus far.
I have stock options in the company, so I will be a part of it's future, but only on the outside.
And that makes me sad.
But I'm surprisingly doing okay mentally wise. I haven't "slipped" into the depths of depression that have always been there before. I haven't gotten one single migraine. That's amazing in and of itself. I have a few leads and a LOT of friends looking out for me.
I'm going to be okay. I just HAVE to keep the fear out of my head and replace all negative thoughts with the faith that I have and the faith that others have in me and my abilities.
Whew.
No comments:
Post a Comment