Wow. What a three weeks this has been. Nothing but absolutely WONDERFUL. Let me tell you about my love story:
On June 9, 2012, I went on my first date with Jim Merrell. It was a restaurant date and all we did was eat and talk, then talk and talk and talk. Jim has been through some trying times in his life and has overcome some incredible obstacles and he wanted me to know everything.
Again, on our first date.
The thing is, what he shared with me did not frighten me or discourage me or do anything but make me want to know him more.
I went home that evening with the beginnings of butterflies, knowing this was someone special. Special enough that that same evening, I texted him asking if he'd like to go to Sunday dinner with me at my sister and brother-in-law's home, along with their seven noisy children. I wanted him to meet my family and I wanted my family to meet him (and frankly give me their opinion of him). He accepted and we chatted via text for about an hour longer. This is after spending four hours with him chatting.
I was really digging him.
Sunday came and I went over to my sister's home. She warned her kids that they needed to be on their best behavior. I then told them they could act any way they wanted to, that I didn't want him to get a skewered idea of who they were and how they were. I wanted him to get the full picture. My family is VERY important to me and wanted him to see them how I see them.
They didn't disappoint and were awesome towards Jim and he enjoyed them, though most of his time was spent with Ron (turns out they grew up together in and around Duncan, Arizona and had so many people in common they spent most of the evening catching up).
I called Ron on my way home and he gave me the thumbs up. Now it's time for the fun to begin.
He and I made plans to see each other the following Saturday for pizza and a movie at my house. On Monday, he was planning on attending family home evening in his ward with the other singles. He ended up not going and through about a million hints, he finally figured out that I wanted him to come over to do the pizza/movie thing instead of waiting clear until Saturday.
At one point he said, "Oh wait! You want me to come over TONIGHT and do something different on Saturday?" Duh. I've had to learn that he does not do hints. At all.
He came, we snuggled (only after I laid my head on my shoulder first, then he got a clue and took my hand) and that was truly the beginning of our relationship. I love yous were said by that Wednesday, jewelry (matching ring, earrings and necklace) was given to me by Thursday and by Friday night we were talking about our future and WHEN we got married, no longer IF we got married.
We just knew, and our love and friendship grew each day after that.
His lovely mother got married to her high school sweetheart (his dad passed away in 2010 - a year after my dad passed away) this past Saturday, June 30, 2012, in Safford, Arizona. I had the privilege of attending with Jim and I got to meet most of his family (he is the youngest of 9 children, 8 of whom are still living). It was a sweet ceremony and an enjoyable reception with lots of people and lots of kids and lots of relatives to meet.
Towards the end of the party, Jim asked me to sit and visit with his mom to get to know her better. I wanted to do this, but needed to use the restroom first. In all honesty, I didn't really need to use the restroom, I just need a time out moment to catch my breath and not be stared at. I guess I was in there a while because from what I heard later, Jim was climbing the walls wondering where I was.
I came back in the room and sat down next to his mom. He made sure I was comfortable and doing okay, then proceeded to stand up, ask for everyone's attention, then got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.
I said YES and we hugged and kissed and were applauded by everyone in the room and Jim and I are now getting married on November 23, 2012, in the Mesa, Arizona temple.
I am so happy and have never loved someone so deeply as I do this man. I am so grateful for the challenges I have faced this year to help me be ready for him. I know without a doubt in my mind that the Lord put us both in each other's paths at this specific time. We would not have been ready for each other any sooner.
James Reed Merrell and Tara LaRue ARE GETTING MARRIED!
I like that love story. So glad it's been written...
ReplyDeleteAhhhhh........I love it!!! I'm soooo happy for you guys!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you! May the butterflies and rainbows continue while you enjoy the bright future ahead! Best, Shawna
ReplyDeleteEeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteTHIS is very exciting! Couldn't be happier for you. I know I'm just sort of a random friend of your sister's and brother-in-law, but I had to let you know. :) Can't wait to see pics!!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a beautiful falling in love story and my prayer for you is that you treasure these memories and when obstacles are thrown at you during your marriage (yes, there will be those times), remember your feelings from your courtship. You probably don't even know who I am, but I am Nette Griffin's Mom, Deanna, and was with you in the Temple on Saturday. We could see in your eyes that you loved each other. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your blog!!! I am so thrilled for you! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you! This is an amazing story, I am so glad it is yours! Congratulations Tara, I am glad you have found your man!
ReplyDeleteAWESOME!!!! Good for you guys -- so excited for you!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Marvelous! I bet the waiting for him has all been made worth it, now that you met him and know it could not be anyone else. Congratulations on finding your soul mate Tara - so very happy for you!
ReplyDelete