Sunday, July 22, 2012

DONE.

Okay - I guess it's finally time to tell my side of this story, which I'm still not completely clear about.

If you've ever followed any of my blogs, you know that I had a problem with debt at one time and blogged it to the world, letting you in on my evil secrets and as a result, I felt accountable to someone for the first time.

Your friendship and my parents enabled me to get out of that debt and eventually purchase a home of my own.

Well, over the past three years, I've managed to get myself into some credit card debt again.  My only excuse is the fact that I used one for a whole year and accumulated cash every time I used it.  I paid it off every month and then was able to get a good chunk of change back at the end of the year.  Sadly, the next year I had one month that I couldn't pay the entire amount and it snowballed from there.  With all of this said, I do have some debt, but I've always been able to pay more than the minimum balance and my credit score is close to 800.  I pay my bills.

One week after I have been engaged, my fiance brought up this debt (I had told him about it at the beginning of our relationship, but he didn't remember the conversation) and told me he felt like I was being deceitful, first having credit card debt in the first place and second not telling him about it.  I understand the second one (though I DID tell him), but the first one still baffles me to this day.  He felt like I maybe was not even be worthy to attend the temple.

Anyway, that, along with other things about me that he started having problems with, for example I wanted to get married earlier rather than later - I wanted my forever to start NOW, he felt like maybe I was a sex addict.  Honestly.  He said that to me and that he was concerned.  It hurt my feelings and I cried and eventually he realized that was an extreme assumption and he asked forgiveness.

But later on when things started getting nasty (and they got nasty FAST), he told me that my tears were manipulative and he felt I used them to try to make him feel bad.

If you know me at all, you know I cry at any emotion I feel - sadness, happiness, frustration, joy, fear, excitement, etc.  I cry and it's how I deal with my emotions.  And he doesn't believe in my tears.

He is the one who called off the wedding.  He felt like our finances were in such awful states that there was no way we were ready for marriage.  He then handed me my engagement ring still in the box (never worn - he had just picked it up from getting sized) and told me it was mine to do with what I wanted (I paid for it - nice that he let me keep it).

I told him I thought love was unconditional and he stated that love is, but marriage isn't.  To me they are one and the same and that statement did me in.  I knew we were through.

It's been rough.  I have no idea if it has been for him, as he has completely stopped communicating with me in every way, shape and form.  I, however, have had really low days, but more and more often, my days are getting better and they are mostly good and happy.

I loved being in love and I loved knowing he loved me, but at the end, I didn't feel like love should be so hurtful and needed to truly walk away from it all.  Even this decision didn't come right away and it didn't come easily as I didn't want to give up.  But the longer it has been, the more my heart is at peace with this decision and I'm grateful for loving family and friends who KNOW me and who truly LOVE me and have been there for me.

So there you have it.  If you're confused, that's okay.  So am I.  I don't think this is something I will ever truly have closure over, and I have to have faith that that's okay.

Thank you to YOU who are reading this and caring enough to want to know about me and what happened.  I wish I could have been clearer, but just know you are not alone in the confusion.

12 comments:

  1. Wishing you well. Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, thank you for your openness and for being willing to be so vulnerable in sharing. I am glad to hear that you are finding happy moments again. You remain in my thoughts and prayers. I also sent you a private message via e-mail with some more information. Kirstin S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope that your writing is therapeutic for you. I admire your ability to be completely honest with yourself as well as your readers, too few people have that character trait. Most importantly, you are not allowing this mans words and actions to diminish the fact that you are worthy of love. So glad you have lots of friends and family to support you in both challenging times and good times. Sending a big HUG from Washington State! :D Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling so motherly here. Grrrrrr!!! You are so lucky that this relationship is over, that you are not encumbered with any ties. His skewed judgements of you reveal SO MUCH about him. Using my best armchair analyst skills, I think years of marriage counseling could not have made a relationship with him healthy. You are so smart, righteous, generous, compassionate, beautiful, accomplished, fun, and TOGETHER that you will be a marvelous helpmeet and lover to a balanced, appreciative, wise man. I may be biased, but that's okay since I'm right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara,
    So sorry to hear this, but after hearing the few details posted, so glad you got out of it! Definitely had all the wrong signs. Keep pushing through and know that we all love you!

    Brittany Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Wow. Wow. Unbelievable. So sorry you're going through this. ((HUGS))

      Delete
  6. Your sweet heart and pure goodness shines through Tara. It sounds like he let his fears stop him from experiencing the most amazing experience of his life. Marriage is scary....especially at our age for the first time. I am sad for him....allowing fear and doubt overcome him. I am happy for you though. You are a strong, loving, trusting, hopeful and faithful woman. You were ready and willing to open yourself up to the uncertain and vulnerable world of love. I think this experience will only enrich your already advanced adept understanding nature. Our singles wards are overfilled with people who are too scared to take the leap. Fear and doubt are not feelings to embrace and succumb to. Hope and Faith are. May you continue to have hope and faith in love and marriage....and may your ex learn rely on these traits in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knowing him as a person for many years I hope that noone reading this will think of him as the terrible person. Being married myself, I have found each person has things they can live with and things they can't.... Unfortunately it did not work out for the two of you. I hope you both learn from this experience. One thing I would advise as words of wisdom to take to future relationships: some things you just don't tell people. I can understand your writing as therapeutic but keep those writings to yourself in a personal journal. It is neither classy nor mature to talk so negatively about a person.... Because neither of you are perfect and you have faults as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also know him & what a good man he is. However, anonymous...if you reread it, she never spoke negatively of him. She simply stated facts about what happened. Big difference!

      Delete
  8. Sending love and supportive thoughts your way. I'm sorry it didn't work out for both of you. I believe that God has something special in store for you Tara. I can't wait to see what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea that you might not be worthy to worship is rather presumptuous. Who would ever be so bold? Not even Jesus himself.

    You are a blessing from heaven. Until you meet someone who knows that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rey Rey - that made me cry. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for saying something so lovely. To everyone who has commented, thank you for taking a moment to do so. And to Anonymous, you are right, I am not perfect and have many, MANY flaws and I apologize if you felt I was making him out to be a bad guy. I was only giving the facts, as I knew them to be and as they happened to me. He is a good man and will be good for someone else.

      Delete